Monday, September 29, 2008

Margaret's missing middle name

It was many years ago that I learned the name of my great-grandmother, Margaret Tierney. Although I first spelled it wrong on the paper pedigree chart after questioning my grandfather about the names of his parents and grandparents, it was exciting as a budding new genealogist (and quite a young lady) to add another new surname to my family tree. This one had such a nice Irish ring to it.

It would be many years later before I would learn Margaret's middle name. Vital records, cemetery records, obituaries, and other resources provided me with only her first name or her first name and middle initial "H". But although I made many guesses, I was no closer to finding out Margaret's middle name - until I read it in the newspaper!

Thanks to the help of a friendly librarian in the town where Margaret and her husband were married, I found a newspaper announcement about their wedding in 1911. There in the Quincy Patriot Ledger, was Margaret's long-missing middle name!


The announcement reads:

"Miss Margaret Helen Tierney and George William McCue were united in marriage on Wednesday evening at St. John's Parochial residence, Quincy by the pastor the Rev. John J. Coan. The bride was attended by Miss Katherine Berry of Braintree and the best man was John T. McVay of Boston. A reception followed at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. Katherine Tierney on Gay Street, Quincy. Mr. and Mrs. McCue left on a two weeks trip to New York, Philadelphia and Washington. On their return they will reside at 11 Leslie street, Dorchester."

How exciting to finally find Margaret's middle name, not to mention all the news about the beginning of my great-grandparents' married life together: wedding party, reception, honeymoon, and all!

This article has been contributed to the "I read it in the news!" edition of the Carnival of Genealogy hosted by Jasia of Creative Gene.

2 comments:

wendy said...

And if you're like me, finding a middle name sometimes helps locate other family members with names that are similar! I often wonder where some of my uncles on my paternal side got their middle names from (or "what were my grandparents thinking?")!

Janet Iles said...

Now that you know her middle name, do you know who she might have been named for? Thanks for sharing this find.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails